At Teekila we teach you the proper use of work clothes to help maintain safety at work within the company.
Being conscious of the proper use of work clothes helps to reduce the risk of accidents and injuries during work. We at Teekila will dedicate this space to talk about workplace safety and the importance of using the right clothing for each task. With these considerations, you will understand the benefits of wearing protective equipment.
Importance of proper use of work clothes
Wearing a uniform at work is a custom that benefits the companies that adopt it. It is a matter of safety and professional responsibility, but also an issue of identity towards the organization of which you are an employee. Wearing the right clothing helps to avoid accidents related to the work performed by each person.
In some professions, work clothing is mandatory due to the conditions in which they work. This is the case of doctors, biologists, electrical technicians, mechanics, firemen, cooks, among many others. The clothing worn by each of them is manufactured with the intention of protecting them from the risks they face at work.
High temperatures, chemicals, biological agents, fire, machinery handling, the use of heavy tools, among others, are factors that endanger the lives of millions of workers. Therefore, both they and the companies are obliged to ensure the use of appropriate clothing. By doing so, they comply with industrial safety standards at work and reduce the accident rate.
Notwithstanding the benefits, there are those who are reluctant to use uniforms or work clothes because some are uncomfortable. Productivity levels are even reduced. But it is an obligation to encourage the use of appropriate clothing. And not only this but to use it correctly. It is important to make sure that it is in good condition and that it is made of the right material.
Types of work safety clothing
- Thermal aggression protection. These garments are resistant to heat, flames, and splashes of materials such as molten iron and aluminum. They must prevent fire from spreading through the clothing.
- Biological and chemical hazards. They prevent toxic particles and hazardous substances (aerosols, liquids, gases, sprayed liquids…) from coming into contact with the individual’s clothing and skin. In the case of biological hazards, in addition to acting as a barrier, some are manufactured with antibacterial fabrics.
- For mechanical hazards. These are clothes resistant to cuts, grazes, punctures, and any other similar hazards. They are frequently used in butchering and silviculture (care of hills, forests, and mountains).
- High-visibility clothing. These are garments that allow the wearer’s presence to be easily detected. For this reason, they use fluorescent materials and part of the surface is retro-reflective.
- Electrical hazard protection. These are garments used to protect the body against possible electric shocks. This category also includes anti-static clothing.
- Protective clothing against the cold. When working outdoors and/or at low temperatures, it is necessary to have clothing that maintains body temperature. Among the characteristics, they should have are waterproof, thermal insulation, and a high level of breathability.
Advantages of safety clothing
By knowing the classification of safety clothing, it is easy to recognize why it is important and what are the benefits of using it. The most obvious one is to safeguard the life of those who use it against the risks faced in the work area, but we can identify others.
For the company, it is also synonymous with protection, because it ensures compliance with legislation on occupational safety. In addition, it can gain productivity if it convinces employees of the importance of using these garments.
Each industry requires a specific level of protection and everyone within the organization must ensure that these are met. Particularly when they are exposed to high-risk or unsanitary conditions. The lack of the necessary implements or the improper use of these can lead to serious consequences.
Are work uniforms and safety clothing the same thing?
Elements as simple as an apron or warm clothing can make a difference in the work environment, even if they are simple items of clothing. It is not necessary that the company belongs to a high-risk sector to have a uniform. On the contrary, it is also a matter of identity.
Wearing a work uniform increases the sense of belonging. This is because employees are easy to recognize – for instance, when they work in a store. It improves the image of both employees and the company itself.
Moreover, it is also a form of promotion because it is possible to customize the employees’ clothing. Design the logo and include it on the uniforms, so it will be visible to everyone and will be easy to remember and identify.
While uniforms are geared towards the company’s identity, safety apparel is to protect the worker. Although they are two different items, each serves an important function within any organization.
Recommendations for wearing protective clothing
Wearing the appropriate clothing is not the only condition for being protected in the work area. It is also necessary to know how to use it and to give it the maintenance it requires so that it fulfills its function. Here are some useful recommendations:
- Clothing must be in good condition. This means without any tears that would diminish its effectiveness. In case this happens, the clothing must be changed if it is not possible to repair it.
- Size should be adjusted to the person wearing it. There should be no loose parts of the fabric that could cause slippage and it should not be shared among workers.
- No tools should be stored inside the work clothing, unless the clothing has compartments for this purpose, as in the case of carpenters’ aprons, for example.
- Never replace clothing with other clothing made of similar materials. Even if they look the same, it is necessary to make sure that you are using the clothing that corresponds to each task.
- When cleaning and maintenance, it is necessary to pay attention to the care required by each of these garments. Otherwise, they may lose their properties.
- It is important to pay attention to the useful life of safe clothing. The conditions to which they are subjected are capable of reducing this period faster than recommended by manufacturers. That is why it is so important to check them regularly.
- Some protective clothing can only be worn for short periods of time and it is necessary to avoid wearing them for longer than recommended.
For the correct use of this clothing, the best advice is to pay attention to the manufacturer’s instructions. Do you need more reasons to use uniforms and safety clothing?
Hopefully, you have understood the importance of proper use of work clothing to ensure the safety of employees at work. These are key tips to protect the lives of workers, who at the end of the day are the ones who keep any business running.